A driver hit me and drove off, what can I do?

A driver hit me and drove off, what can I do?

It is certainly frustrating when another driver makes a mistake and causes a car accident. It’s even more frustrating when that driver then speeds off, clearly not wanting to own up to their own negligent actions.

If something like this has happened to you, you’ll probably find yourself wondering what you need to do next. You do have options, so here are a few key points to keep in mind.

Do not pursue the other driver

First off, people are often tempted to pursue the driver who is running from the scene. But this is incredibly dangerous and potentially illegal. You do not want to cause another crash or endanger other people just because you’re trying to catch up with that vehicle. Even if your car can still drive, stay where you are.

Call the police right away

It’s also important to call 911 immediately. Some people think they need to wait until they’ve talked to the insurance company or something of this nature. But it’s best to let the authorities know right away because, if you end up seeking compensation from that driver, the police need to locate them first. A prompt report helps them do this since they can still see the damage on the vehicle.

When you do talk to the police, make sure you give them as much information as you can about the other vehicle. This could include things like the make and model, the license plate number, the color of the car, the type of damage you expect it to have and where it was heading.

Get witness statements

Another thing that can help is to get witness statements from people who saw the crash occur. Not only can they back up your story about the other driver hitting you and running off, but they may have noticed things about that vehicle that you missed in the chaos of the accident. These witness statements can then help the police find that person and help you seek compensation at a later date.

Once you reach this point, were you are facing medical bills for your injuries and other such costs, be sure you know what legal steps to take.

Get in Touch

Free Consultation